There are so many types of hardwood floors that vary in quality, hardness, color, and price that it’s difficult to pin down which one is right for you. Thankfully, Floor Coverings International Northshore is here to help. If you’ve been scratching your head at the flooring choices for your Burnaby home or business, you’ve come to the right place.
Teak is one of the many hardwoods you’ll find in our selection. Read on to learn more about this popular exotic hardwood!
Advantages of Teak
- It’s durable: Teak is one of the toughest hardwood floors you can buy. This feature makes it great for pets and kids, as it won’t develop scratches easily.
- Pest-resistant: This hardwood is naturally resistant to pests like termites and other bugs.
- Naturally shiny: Teak’s natural oils give the floor its signature shine that doesn’t need wax or finishes. You can easily get away with not applying varnishes or stains because the floor looks good even without them.
- Virtually no splinters: Teak’s durability also means that it will take severe neglect before its planks curl up and wither apart into splinters.
- Water-resistant: The hardness and natural oils of teak also make it uniquely resistant to water, unlike softer hardwoods. In fact, it’s one of the few hardwoods you can use in bathrooms!
Disadvantages of Teak
- It’s exotic: In the hardwood world, exotic usually translates to one meaning—expensive. Exotic woods cost more to ship and keep in stock.
- It’s endangered: Teak’s amazing qualities have made it a rare commodity these days. You can be good to the planet by purchasing reclaimed teak or certified teak, which has been harvested using sustainable methods.
- It needs oil: Though it doesn’t need varnishes or finishes, teak oil should be reapplied every 3 years to help the wood keep its shine and bug-resistance.
Discover teak and other great hardwood flooring options at Floor Coverings International Northshore. Our expert team is proud to offer free consultations in North Vancouver, West Vancouver, Burnaby, Whistler.
You might also be interested in:
Photo © fotografos