Why is red oak the most popular type of hardwood flooring? Well, red oak is affordable, durable, classic, and readily available. Here at Floor Coverings International Northshore, we often recommend red oak flooring because it meets so many Burnaby homeowners’ needs. With that said, you should still take the time to evaluate whether red oak is the best hardwood species for you. Do you like its traditional look, or would you prefer something more unique? Will red oak offer enough durability for your space, or do you need a floor with extra scratch and dent-resistance? Our experts can help you answer these questions.
Red Oak Flooring: Things to Consider
- Red oak is a naturally warm, red-toned hardwood with a dramatic grain. It has a very traditional, classic look that blends with older homes and adds warmth and character to newer homes. You can customize red oak floors to your preference by choosing different stains and finishes.
- Red oak has a mid-range Janka rating of 1290, meaning that it is fairly scratch and dent-resistant. It is tougher than hardwoods like walnut or cherry, but not as tough as maple or hickory. The good news is that red oak hardwood can be refinished if it starts to look scratched or worn.
- Red oak is one of the most affordable types of hardwood flooring because it is such a readily available material.
- Like all hardwood floors, red oak can be damaged by prolonged exposure to water. Wipe up spills as quickly as possible, and remember to clean your floors regularly with a broom or vacuum.
- Red oak hardwood flooring is a great choice for living rooms, dining rooms, and bedrooms. If you install red oak floors in a kitchen, bathroom, or laundry room, remember to protect them from moisture using mats and rugs.
We can’t wait to help you install new hardwood floors in your Burnaby home. Call Floor Coverings International Northshore today to get started!
You might also be interested in:
Photo Credit: Artazum